U-drive! Thorsmörk & Eyjafjallajökull
On this superjeep tour you get to discover the beautiful valley Thorsmörk. A facinating trip with green valleys, streams, glacial rivers and rich flora. Drive on mountain roads, cross rivers and drive through narrow mountain passes.
Departure from Reykjavík. Travel over Hellisheiði pass to Hveragerði and make a detour on the fun 1000 water way track (depending on conditions). Drive through the countryside in the south and your first stop of the day is at Seljalandsfoss waterfall. From there you enter a mountain road that leads into Þórsmörk glacier valley, on the way youcross numerous un-bridged rivers. On the way you should visit Gígjökull outlet glacier from Eyjafjallajökull. Eyjafjallajökull got famous in 2010 when it erupted and caused serious flight delays all around the world. Gígjökull used to be a much bigger glacier outlet and boosted a glacier lagoon in front of it, but during the eruption the glacier changed dramatically and a flood down the glacier washed the lagoon away.
After visiting this former ice lagoon you continue towards the bottom of the valley. At Húsadalur you have a service center with restaurant and information of some short hikes in the area, but to get there you need to cross the powerful Krossá river. On the way to Básar you have Stakkholtgjá, a narrow ravine and it offers a nice 30 min. hike along the stream to a hidden waterfall. After spending some time in Þórsmörk you drive back to the main road and if you like then you can take a detour to Skógafoss waterfall and visit the black beach below.
Places visited: Reykjavík - Seljalandsfoss – Þórsmörk – Skógafoss – Black Beach - Reykjavík.
- Pickup in Reykjavik
- Booklet with detailed itinerary
- Super CDW insurance
- Book an instructor
- Prepay for full diesel tank
- Period : April - November
- Departure : 08:00
- Length : 11 hours
- Requirements : Valid driver's licence and minimum age 25 for driving/renting
- Difficulty : A confident driver is recommended
- Product code : K05
- Other : ISAK 4x4 modified Land Rover Defender with 38-inch tyres, air compressor, VHF long range radio, snorkel and all the extras to venture deep into Icelandic highlands. Fits 7 people without luggage and instructor.
- Bring warm clothing, water proof jacket and trousers, hat, gloves and good trekking boots.