Inside the volcano
Take this unique opportunity to enter into the magma chamber of the sleeping volcano Thrihnukagigur, the only place where you can do this.
The sleeping volcano is a unique natural phenomenon and this experience will open your eyes to a whole new world. This journey is a fascinating one, as after 45-50 minutes (3 km) hike up to the top of the crater you are lowered down to the bottom of it in an open cable lift.
The beauty of the crater comes from its astonishing array of colours, and is huge size: and the circumference is equal to that of 3 basketball courts and the crater would be able to house the Statue of Liberty comfortably!
During the excursion knowledgeable and experienced guides are at your side to ensure your safety.
- Pickup in Reykjavik
- Safety equipment
- Traditional Icelandic meat soup (vegetarian alternative available)
- Period : May - October
- Departure : 07:30, 08:30, 09:30, 11:30, 12:30, 13:30, 15:30
- Length : 6 hours (45 minutes inside the volcano)
- Requirements : No previous experience required
- Minimum age : 12 years
- Difficulty : The hike is challenging and not advisable for unfit persons or people with reduced physical abilities.
- Product code : L01
- Bring warm and comfortable clothing and hiking boots. Jeans and normal trainers are not advisable. Remember that the weather in the mountains can vary significantly from that in town.