The Beach Ride
Experience the extraordinary, the volcanic beach, the river banks and islands of the Ölfusá delta and great views!
We take the horses in the trailer to the small fishing town Thorlákshöfn where we start the tour with a ride on the long, black beach. We follow the scenic beach along the surf of the North Atlantic for a few kilometers, riding on soft black lava sand until we reach the beautiful area where the mighty glacial river Ölfusá meets the sea in a large delta. We then continue through shallow water at the edge of the river delta and ride on grassy river banks, along wetlands and meadows towards the farmland in the Ölfus area, where our farm Vellir is located. On our way we have plenty of opportunity to try the smooth gait of the Icelandic horse “tölt” on nice trails in beautiful scenery which seems to be far from civilization, and enjoy spectacular views of mountains and the volcanos Hekla and Eyjafjallajökull, weather permitting. We also have good chances to see sea- and wetland birds of various kinds living in the Flói Bird Reserve between the ocean shore and the river. After we have reached the old cemetery at Arnarbæli we ride along the river Gljúfurá and pastures with grazing horses back to Eldhestar.
The tour can also start at Vellir and end at Thorlákshöfn, depending on tides. During the tour you will take a break on a scenic spot to enjoy a light lunch out in nature.
- English speaking guide.
- Riding and safety equipment.
- Hotel pick-up.
- 4.5 – 5.5 hours riding with stops (ca. 23 km).
- Lunchbox (sandwich, cookies, water bottle, special sandwiches available on request). Coffee/tea/hot chocolate and home baked cake after the tour.
- Period : May – September, daily.
- Departure : 08:00
- Requirements : This tour is for everyone.
- Minimum age : 10 years
- Difficulty : This tour is for everyone but participants should be in good physical condition.
- Product code : C14
- Other : The Icelandic horses can carry a maximum weight of 120 kilo. Every participant must be able to mount a horse with little assistance.
- Good shoes, comfortable pants (riding pants not necessary), gloves and a buff is recommended and if you want to bring a camera, please bring a small waist bag as backpacks cannot be taken on horseback.