U-drive - South Coast & glaciers
Departure from Reykjavík. Drive through the countryside in the south and your first stop of the day is at Seljalandsfoss waterfall. From there you enter a mountain road and cross some un-bridged rivers on the way to visit Gígjökull outlet glacier from Eyjafjallajökull. Eyjafjallajökull got famous in 2010 when it erupted and caused serious flight delays all around the world. Gígjökull used to be a much bigger glacier outlet and boosted a glacier lagoon in front of it, but during the eruption the glacier changed dramatically and a flood down the glacier washed the lagoon away.
After visiting this former ice lagoon you drive along the South Coast. There you have the option of visiting many beautiful nature sites like Vík village, Reynisfjara beach, Dyrhólaey bird cliffs, Sólheimajökull glacier tongue, Mýrdalsjökull glacier, Skógafoss waterfall and the black beaches at Sólheimasandur. Arrive back to Reykjavík.
Driving distance during the day is approx. 450 km
Reykjavík – Seljalandsfoss - Gígjökull – South Coast –Skógafoss – Sólheimasandur – Sólheimajökull – Dyrhólaey – Reynisfjara – Vík - Reykjavík
- Pickup in Reykjavik
- Booklet with a detailed itinerary
- Super CDW insurance
- Book an instructor
- Prepaid full diesel tank
- Period : All year, daily
- Departure : 08:00
- Requirements : Valid driver´s licence and minimum age 25 for driving/renting.
- Difficulty : Experienced driver is recommended.
- Product code : K04
- Other : ISAK 4x4 modified Land Rover Defender with 38-inch tyres, air compressor, VHF long range radio, snorkel and all the extras to venture deep into Icelandic highlands. Fits 7 people without luggage and instructor.
- Bring warm clothing, water proof jacket and trousers, hat gloves and good trekking boots.